Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Last night I got a huge static shock against the side of my computer case, and now my DVD drive won't open...

Is there a connection? My LAN cable is missing that little clip thing that keeps it in the port, so it works itself out now and again. I went down to replug it and when my hand brushed against the side of my computer case, there was a major spark. The computer is on a carpeted floor, but I'd been sitting cross-legged in a desk chair so I'm not sure where the static came from.





Anyway, a few minutes ago I tried to open my DVD drive (actually a DVD drive, DVD burner, and CD burner) and there's no response. The shock was towards the back of the case, if that makes any difference. My CD drive is right on top of the DVD drive, and it's fine.





The computer's a Dell Dimension E310 and the warranty's long since expired.Last night I got a huge static shock against the side of my computer case, and now my DVD drive won't open...
Static electricity is a major contributor of computer failure. Be lucky it only fried the DVD and not the entire computer. You probably will have to replace the drive. That is what it sounds like. Unplug that drive and use a different power conector to see if something else works. If that device doesn't work, then something else went bad in the power supply and you might have to replace the power supply, not the drive.


What you should do when connecting/disconnecting, adding or taking away any hardware or cables is to diconnect the power. After diconnecting power, if you are opening the case, make sure you discharge any static electricity or use an anti-static wrist strap. The memory is especially vulnerable to failure becasue of static discharge.Last night I got a huge static shock against the side of my computer case, and now my DVD drive won't open...
Try clearing your CMOS memory by removing the CMOS battery that is on your motherboard. Usually the battery is a CR2032 ';coin type';.





-Unplug power cord and disconnect cords to monitor, keyboard, mouse, printers, LAN, modems or any others





-press and hold power button for 15 seconds or so. This will discharge capacitors on the motherboard.





-open case.





-VERY IMPORTANT: before touching anything inside your pc remove (ground) any static charge that may be built up on YOU by touching any metal part of the CASE. Better yet is to purchase a grounding wrist strap, but as long as you touch metal case before handling any parts inside you will be OK.





-Locate CMOS battery and note which side is up (should be the + side) then remove the battery.





-Wait 30 minutes then reinstall battery with correct side up.


BE SURE to ground yourself by touching metal case.





-Replace cover. Reconnect everything and reboot.





I had similar experience (see below) so maybe it will work in your situation.
  • acne scars treatment
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment