Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Do you think ';multi-regional DVD players'; ought to be a case for the Trade Descriptions Act?

I ask because I bought a DVD player a couple of years ago which was ';multi-regional';, and I naturally assumed that this meant I could play any DVD (nobody was going to tell me any different). So I buy some Region 1 DVDs through Amazon only to find that they don't play. Apparently, you can have a ';regional coding enhancement'; which stops so-called multi-regional DVD players from playing them. So I go back to the store and they tell me of a place that I should be able to get a ';decoder'; (in another town) so I go all the way there and they look at me like an idiot and tell me there's no such thing. I've found on the internet something about decoding DVD players but the thing is I'm not a techno-wiz and, frankly, I don't understand it. Anyway, my point is, surely its completely misleading to be sold DVD players that are termed ';multi-regional'; when they invariably do not play DVDs from other parts of the world, unless they're ';All Regions';. Should it not be regarded as illegal marketing?Do you think ';multi-regional DVD players'; ought to be a case for the Trade Descriptions Act?
There are a total of 10 regional codings for DVDs.





';Multi-region'; means the player will play discs from some or most regions, but NOT necessarily all.





';Region-free'; means the player will play discs from all regions.





My DVD recorder is Region free. I have bought DVDs from the U.S.A., Japan, Hong Kong, Australia, South America and Russia. I've never had a problem playing any of them.





You are misunderstanding the difference between ';Region free'; (which I have) and ';Multi-region'; (which you have). They are not the same thing.Do you think ';multi-regional DVD players'; ought to be a case for the Trade Descriptions Act?
The expresion ';multi region'; to me does not mean all regions. It implies to me that it will play DVD's from more than one region however is not implying that it plays them from every region. So I do not think this would be a case for the trades description act. The English language is very clever and words/statements can have various meanings depending on how it is read.
The multi regional will in fact play all your DVDs, you just need to re-code them and instructions and codes for all the models are widely available on the Internet
I agree to me multi regional means you can play dvds from anywhere.
More likely you have a case against the store for the sales people missleading you.

No comments:

Post a Comment